Saturday, January 31, 2009

Chilli Nachos

A variation of the Chilli Con Carne recipe in the thermomix recipe book, Instead of kidney beans and tomato paste we substitute a tin of baked beans. This adds the beans content and the sweetness of the tomato sauce. Also only had mince in the freezer, so this substituted for the beef cubes.

Cooking time was only 15 mins. The recipe was a little liquidy from the baked beans so another 3 minutes with the MC removed was enough to make the chilli perfect.

My six year old did everything for the recipe except peeling the onions. He was very impressed with his cooking and the outcome.

This made enough for 3 people to eat their fill and enough in the freezer for another meal.

Pancakes for Breaky

Weekend breakfast usually means pancakes on Saturday mornings. The thermomix is the easiest pancake mix I have ever made. All the ingredients into the jug and a quick mix for 20 seconds and it is ready to go. We add a reaspoon of bi-carb to the thermomix crepe recipe and it gives them a little bit of air during cooking.

20 minues to rest in the fridge and then it's pancake time.

My son loves his pancakes with the thermomix plum jam he made all by himself.

Thursday, January 29, 2009


Thermomix pizza bases are very easy to make. We have 2 recipies that are never fail.
Tonight's dinner was the yeast based mixture with 500g flour, oil, yeast, salt and milk added to the jug and mixed for 10 seconds before being kneaded for 2 mins. Using luke warm milk activates the yeast quickly and raising time is reduced.
Toppings tonight are thermomix tomato conserve, cheese, cheese, bacon, pineapple and fresh basil. Bakes in a 200 oven for 20 mins.

Time from mixing to eating was about 45mins which included 2 x 15min raising periods.

The mixture makes enough for 3 family size pizzas. We wrap the unused bases in cling wrap and freeze for a quick dinner another night.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

School Snacks

With the new school year less than a week away it was time to stock the pantry with yummy snacks for the first week back.

First on the list was Banana Bread with date and Walnut. Very easy to prepare... the thermomix blades make chopping dates and walnuts a 15 second job. Following the recipie in the thermomix cookbook it was in the oven in just under 2 minutes from getting all the fixings on the bench. Best off all with this bread is grinding your own wholemeal flour from wheat grain.

Second on the list was Anzac biscuits. We find the thermomix instructions leave the oats too fine. We add half the amount required as per the instructions and then hand mix in the remaining amount of oats at the end before baking.

Both will be lucky to make it to the first day of school. I am sure more baking will be required on the weekend.

Quickie Chicken Curry

A slight adaptation of the recipe in the Thermomix cookbook.
Requires 4 chicken thighs cubed, 3 potatoes cubed, 2 onions peeled, 2 cloves garlic peeled, sml tin coconut cream, 150Ml milk, 30g oil and 2 tbs curry paste of choice.

Chop the onions and garlic in the bowl and then add paste and oil and cook for 3 min on 100C. Blend on speed 8 for 5 seconds to turn into a smooth paste.
Add potatoes, cream and milk. Cook for 20 min on 100c... remembering to put on reverse soft.

Add chook and cook for 10mins on same settings.

Place into the Thermomix warmer
Quick rinse of the jug and lid. Cook 400g basmati rice in the thermomix (16 mins).
Place rice into thermomix strainer. Add water up to the '1' level in jug. Insert jug and cook on Veroma for 16 minutes speed 3. Easy as pie.

Served 3 people for dinner with enough in the freezer for another 3.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009


A quick salad to accompany some pork sausages.
Preparation time 1 minute
Cooking/Mixing time 10-12 seconds

This recipe calls for 1/4 cabbage, 1/2 a big carrot, 1/4 small onion , 1/2 stick celery, a couple of tablespoons of mayo and salt/pepper to taste.

Place all ingredients into the thermomix bowl and mix on speed 5 for 10-12 seconds. While mixing use the spatula to stir the stir through the lid.

Recipe book called for an apple instead of the cerlery. This may have added some crunch and a touch of bitterness to the salad. A dash of mustard could also have been added to increase the tang factor.

Family very happy with the results.